Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Response to an athiest's claim about "truth"

You state that truth shows there is no God.

I say:

There is no evidence that supports love. You cannot prove scientifically that you romantically love your wife, yet we steadfastly hold on to the archaic belief of love. It cannot be proven, support for it is basically anecdotal and is firmly based on feelings and the faith that what we believe we feel is what we have described as "love" when in fact it is more likely to be a chemical hormonal reaction and a co-dependancy relationship that develops as a result of said chemical/hormonal reaction. What tricks do you use to convince yourself that you actually love your wife? What hard scientific evidence can you produce to convince me: a love skeptic?


Love is a fantasy that we convince ourselves of because we are afraid of the truth. We appeal to security, faith, fear of being alone, tradition, emotion and dogma yet logic and critical examination cleary shows us a convincely lack of evidence to prove this ridiculous notion of love.

I choose not to be self delusional and not to accept unsubstantiated claims of "love". I refuse to hang on to beliefs because I am afraid of the reality that what we call love is merely a chemical reaction in my brain brought on by a natural instinct to reproduce and any relationship that ensues is merely a co-dependency based on mutual benefit alone and has absolutely nothing to do with love. Love is a myth, a fantasy, a delusion.

I see no evidence that love exists. Any claim that our actions of benevolence are based in love are simply lies we tell ourselves to make ourselves feel good about that benevolence when it is simply for our own feelings of goodness about ourselves that produce said actions of benevolence. These actions are purely selfishly motivated for what we get out of it.

I too choose to believe the truth, whatever it turns out to be and because of the lack of evidence for love I choose to abandon my belief in it.

I do this because living my life searching for something that so clearly does not exist is a waste of energy and is about as useful as driving a car with my eyes shut and trying to pedal a bicycle at the same time.



Or I can have faith that it does exist because without faith then nothing outside of the physical world exists. Not love, not friendship, not sadness, not guilt, not redemption, not loneliness, not hatred or joy. Without faith I have no loyalty, no reason to help anyone at any time if I don't believe I will receive some compensation as a result of that aid. Without faith I have no reason to counsel my friends to try to save or even put any effort into their marraiges. In fact, I should be prosletyzing them to become divorced because clearly love does not exist and being independent is infinately more satisfying than co-dependence. Selfishness is infinately more productive than sacrificial.

Does love exist? I believe it does. I don't need proof.

Does God exist? I believe He does and that He is the author of all love.

I hope love exists for me. I know God does. I have faith in both.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (New International Version, ©2010)



8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.



1 Corinthians 1:18-25


18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:


“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”
 20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment